My travel journal of my experience of both anthropology research and the visit of my family country in Eritrea

Friday, June 30, 2006

Asmara

I heard there will be a marching band at my arrival in Asmara, Eritrea.
heh.
Mr. Melesse, Director of Health, will pick me up literally at the GATE since he has a special pass. I will be staying in one of his apartments where Americans normally stay for business trips with him based on medical research. Sounds fantastic. After 3 days then i will transfer to Tesfa Goitom's villa. People keeps asking me if i will travel alone. THe answer is somewhat YES. I have to quickly gather and research on the deaf community and learn about the progress of Sign-Language dictionary. Yes, communication may be not as glamoursly whilst i speak only English/ASL not the dominate spoken language there: Tigrinya. Rest assured--i am in process of hiring a female university student as my translator (assistant).

I do not have travel schedule but i plan to visit few towns/cities: Asmara, Keren (deaf institution), Mendefera (deaf community), Metera (my father's village!), Massawa (famous beach), Sawa (Youth Eritrean Festival - est 40,000 attendees!), and, not least, Senafe. Out of this trip, i only hope to climb up to the top of the mountain of my father's village and to swim in the Red Sea!

Ayiyiyi, Life IS Grand.
Thanks GOD.

1 Comments:

Blogger SOYUZ1968 said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2:28 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home