My travel journal of my experience of both anthropology research and the visit of my family country in Eritrea

Sunday, July 09, 2006

Gettin' Tricky...


People here ask me "what you think of Asmara?" I'd respond--its Fabulous seeing everything in details with my bare eyes, smell each scents and feel each temperature during the day. The weather here just as Walta (my childhood friend) warned me "its a lil Tricky." Id say it run 3-season daily! Although, it resembles as any typical So_Californian weather! Its chilly in the morning, warm most of the day, hot during noon, windy which is bothersome with dust; then it drizzles at late evening, and lastly, it becomes cold in the nighttime. It *is* awestruckening to see EVERYONE as Eritreans walking or hanging out around the city. I feel somewhat an outsider since they keep staring at me--especially at my old beaten-up sneakers. I know... thats unlady-like of me. The women here tend to wear feminine sandals or loafers and i learned they are absolutely useful and rain-friendly in contrast w/ my wet sneakers. My Eritrean friends would find my parka/raincoat stunning, despite i still get wet. ;/

Generally, people aroundthe city have such a sturdy look and i barely recieve a smile when i walk by them or enter in their shops/hotels. Normally, at each encounter among strangers, Id bow my head slightly saying "Selam" or offer to shake hands then they'd greet humbliy or modest. I still got a lot to learn about this culture and understand wholly of hardships what have my own country has suffered through.

Moreever, people quickly assume that I am a non-Eritrean or doubt my nationality, Id correct them, tell them my full name, or show them my Nationality Eritrean ID (Men-net) and declare "I'M AN ERITREAN!" All of their reactions are uniform with a cheer and joy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home