My travel journal of my experience of both anthropology research and the visit of my family country in Eritrea

Thursday, July 13, 2006

So much to see!

My vocabulary of ESL (Eritrean Sign Language) is growing indefinetely! It's virtually rousing at each time i learn a new sign. Those deaf Eritreans are fabulous teachers--they love to feed me new signs/words in Tigrinya. I feel like a sponge, absorbing the beautiful language of this country!

This weekend I will, at last, travel with a guide to Keren to visit the deaf community there. I hope i will build a good relationship with the people of the Deaf office there. Unfortunately, i won't be meeting any faculty of Keren School for the Deaf since the school is out. Although, this guide will lead me to people whom she thinks will assist my research.

From July 18-22, I'll be gone visiting SAWA, the renowned city of Eritrea where the youth are sent for the mandatory Soldier-Training camp to serve the country, to protect its Nation and build their values. Im goin there for the Eri-Youth Festival, where about 20,000(plus) youths (local and international) will celebrate for 4 days together. It will be a honor to attend and view the most dangerous site where the war memories are.

At my return, i will participate Eritrean Festival and see all the ethnic groups' dancing, which will be Fascinating!! THEN, i will travel on a tour program arranged by the NUEYS (Nat. Union Eri Youth & Students) titled as "Know Your Country," goin to 15 different locations for 6 days!! Certainly, it is gonna be a revitalizing expedition!! It is not exactly part of my research but... only to explore outside the city life! This photograph was taken by Eden, a deaf teacher, at point of Bet Giorgish, by the zoo. It overlooks the road to Massawa. This is merely a minuscule part of sightseeings in anticipation of so much more to see on the tour!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home