My travel journal of my experience of both anthropology research and the visit of my family country in Eritrea

Monday, July 17, 2006

Amazing creatures!!!

People stare at me while i am dumbfounded looking at those amazing 4-legged humongous creatures!! DID U KNOW PEOPLE DRINK CAMEL-MILK?!?!

Interesting. Women here keep asking me "U arent afraid traveling?", "You arent afraid to stay in hotel alone?" or "You arent afraid of visiting towns alone?" I replied each question--why should i be afraid of my sweet country?? I need to go out and see it myself in-order-to have the firsthand experience. If something happens, well... i'll always be glad to have this chance to travel outside America, esp. my family country.

Good news!
i just visited Keren and met the Director of KSD (Keren School for the Deaf). I was able to videotape his interview. It was all arranged within a day!! wow! Im so grateful for those people helping and offering their time investing to my research. Plus, they are awestrucken at how much i know ESL!! I can speak/sign to a Deaf Eritrean w/o any ASL signs!! YIPPEEEEE!!!!! Yes i am still spoiled by their English vocabulary/lip-readings. I promise you, Im gonna learn Tigrinya to return my respect for my home country's native language. Im already working on my fidel (alphabets of Tigrinya)!

Currently, im all packed and ready to go off to Sawa camp (eri-youth festival). I was very lucky to find a sleeping bag at a shop here. After 23rd tiny shops, I really thought it was no way for me to buy one here in Asmara until the last one which saved my neck! Now it'd be a great addition to my sleeping bags collection! ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home