My travel journal of my experience of both anthropology research and the visit of my family country in Eritrea

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Multifarious Venues

Eritrea is indeed a MARVELOUS tiny country with a wide variation of climate environments! One hour drive from a solid green fertile soil to suddenly dry sandy desert or rocky boulders or flat plateaus or pointy mountains/hills! I’d say this country has it all except Snow!
On the first day, the tour took a group of 40 people to Duburwa, stayed at "HANNIBAL" hotel then explored 5 different industries: wheat, vodka/gin/cognac, plastic, cookie/biscuit, and cement. I was surprised by the quality of catering for each meal—I was genuinely impressed by each servings! We'd eat at restaurants or public halls. The second day, we traveled to Mendefera to stay at a nice hotel and participate the Youth center of that city. There was music therefore we finally boogied in our traditional dance. I did seek for Deaf club by myself and it wasn’t hard to find it being nearby to a mosque. Met 6 deaf males and was able to communicate w/ them flowly. :)
Next day, we visited Adi Kuala with an incredible view over hills, where is a historical site of many Ethiopian fighters died down bottom of the cliffs from stone-throwing. I had a neat foto taken of myself w/ a soldier’s gun. Next, the tour took us to Kohaito (koo-why-to) and saw a duplicate of Grand-Canyon, an erosion area, and an archaeological area of Egyptian tomb (500 B.C.) then return to a new hotel to sleep there. I was hoping to see Senafe/Metera part of this tour but, sadly, no.
Then, before Massawa, we made a pit stop at Adi Ghinda, a small village and I really appreciated this most becuz I felt independent at last when I explore the shops to buy an Islamic scarf and thin beach/desert clothings. I was able to interact w/ the locals, 2-3 Islamic females assisted w/putting on my scarf. Next, we were finally set off to Massawa to take a boat to Green Island which was the most outstanding vacation!! The scenery was just like any advertisement of tour agency would love to promote! Amazed, I couldn’t believe and handle it well of the fact we actually SLEPT ON THE BEACH!!! Heck, I’m a California gurl and still this was my first time to sleep on the beach! A bit difficult with all sand on my sleeping bag. This is when I let my hair OUT and looked like chaos! ;) On fifth day, we went back to Massawa which was only 2 miles away, not to explore but just to eat. :( After that we took a looong drive (4hours) on a bumpy, unpaved road to Ghelalo just to stay in its fancy brand-new hotel which was pleasant but not truly representation of the whole village! The place was extravagant designed, Roman-era, which look intimidating comparing to any other hotel! Puzzlingly, we simply returned back to Massawa for dummy food and agaiiin, not to explore the historical site and we LEFT! I objected to this part and found out it was due to "technical problems and permission" the tour couldn’t take us to travel around the port, not let alone to drive through it!! So, I am determined to return back there by myself or w/ a deaf guide.
It was an incredible tour to explore a part of Eritrea but it was a torture not to evade on my own to explore all the cities by myself and yes, I was suffering from internet-withdrawal!! I sure miss my buddies and family to share this experience with.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home